Monday 8 December 2008

Count to ten..

The school Christmas Fair is now over, Santa's Grotto is packed away for another year and I've just about regained the use of my legs after sitting in the same position for two and a half hours whilst facepainting.
I miss most of the fun as the facepainting takes place in a classroom off the main corridor, away from the hall. I and my fellow PFA mum spend the entire time painting designs onto little faces (mostly butterflies this year - with the occasional spiderman and tiger to stop us from going completely mad!) and hoping that the feeling is going to return to our knees before we need to stand up again.
I usually enjoy the activity. It can be stressful, looking up for a moment and realising that the classroom is packed with children and parents..all watching what you are doing...but the children are usually very well behaved and pleased with the result. Its so nice to see their smiles. Most parents accept that there will be a queue and wait patiently, chatting to friends.
Except one.
One with a very loud voice.
One who declared that she could've painted all her children's faces in the time they had been waiting in the line.
One who finally managed to persuade her offspring that they'd be better off spending the money on sweets...
It was a very difficult situation to find myself in. The fair was organised by volunteers - to raise money for the school, in order to provide a few items for the children that would make their time in school more interesting and fun. We all worked very hard and most parents appreciate the effort we put into such events. I was very close to 'presenting' the One with a set of face paints and telling her exactly what I thought of her attitude! However, I had to remember that I was a representative of the school and surrounded by children and so would have to bite my tongue. Soooo not my default setting! I will try and feel sorry for the fact that the joy of Christmas has passed her by....and hope that her children manage to find some from somewhere.

2 comments:

Louiz said...

Found your blog through Ravelry.

I think we share an interest in vintage knitting.

Nanny Ogg said...

Sorry - I've been away for a while, wrapped up in children and holiday stuff.
Yes - I love knitting from vintage patterns. So interesting! I will get around to posting some more just as soon as I have some spare time.