Tuesday 18 November 2008

My Granny would be so proud!


My beloved Grandmother was always concerned that we should make sure our vests were properly tucked in, to prevent us from 'getting a chill'. I must admit that as I've got older I have got more aware of draughts and the effects of the cold on my creaky joints. While thumbing through my collection of vintage knitting books I spotted the solution to the chilly gap betwixt vest and knicks - the handknitted camiknickers!

I used some 100% wool, baby 3ply, achieved the correct 'stitch per inch' count and dived in. The yarn was a little splitty but blocked beautifully and was sooo soft.

I originally knitted these as a bit of fun, to see if I was capable of some of the sort of knitting that would have been second nature to my wonderful Gran. As the nights become chillier and the days drift into the dark and dreary grey of winter, these soft pink clouds of warmth are looking more and more attractive. A sign of age? Or the thought of a credit crunch season ahead!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Oh, wear them!

I've been thinking about knitting a pair or three for quite a long time now...of course, I wear vintage clothing anyway.

Those are lovely. Enjoy them.