Thursday 20 November 2008

One more for luck.


I don't know why vintage knitting patterns fascinate me so much, particularly those of the 1940's. It may be the link with my beloved Grandmother. Or the respect I feel for the generation of women who held things together on the homefront during the war years - I don't know if I would have coped too well in their place.


I have several knitting books of the period. Each one is full of patterns for every member of the family, from underwear to dresses and even women's suits. There are handy hints for 'make do and mend' that may become more relevant as I strive to become more eco-friendly and less extravagant.

Here is another set of cami-knickers knit from one of these 1940's pattern books. As the weather worsens and the temperature drops they are looking more and more attractive. Woollen handknits, hot chocolate and a good film - my idea of heaven as the snow starts to fall outside and the wind howls down the chimney.


1 comment:

The Wool Gatherer said...

These look wonderfully cozy! The damp chill comes into my Midwestern U.S. so I would love to make something like this. Any way you could pass on the pattern? If it is vintage, the copyright is probably off.

I also love anything vintage 1940's, especially advertising memorabilia.